Awards and Commendations
Throughout the years, the Office of the Americas, and Blase and Theresa Bonpane, individually and as a couple, have received numerous awards and commendations for their humanitarian service. A partial list of those awards follows:
- January 17, 2010, The Heart of Humanity Award presented to Blase and Theresa Bonpane for their unending service to humanity. Given on Peace Sunday by the Unity and Diversity World Council and Interfaith Communities United for Justice and Peace.
- October 9, 2009, 50th Anniversary of KPFK, Pacifica Radio Peace Award to Blase Bonpane. (The Don White Lifetime Commitment to Peace Award).
- October 18, 2008, The Unitarian Universalist Service Committee Award, Southern California Unit: To Theresa and Blase Bonpane in deep appreciation for your many years given to the cause of peace and justice. You are an inspiration to all of us.
- October 28, 2006: The Nuclear Age Peace Foundation honors Blase Bonpane with The Distinguished Peace Leadership Award.
- May 7, 2005: St. Joseph Center honors Theresa and Blase Bonpane with the “Hope through Empowerment” Award.
- April 21, 2005. Homies Unidos “Legacy of Peace” award granted to Theresa and Blase Bonpane of the Office of the Americas.
- June 9, 2002. The Los Angeles Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild awarded Blase Bonpane: “Whose tireless and courageous work and travels for peace and justice have lifted the spirits of embattled peoples around the globe.” The same evening they awarded Theresa Bonpane: “For having made the Office of the Americas a de facto United States Department of Peace and Justice and for being the heart and soul of the Los Angeles peace and justice movement.”
- April 22, 2001. Agape International Center for Truth and A Season for Non-Violence gave Theresa and Blase Bonpane and the Office of the Americas their award for being, “A Place of Peace and Non-Violence in Our Community.”
- June, 2000. The Witherspoon Society (a national organization named after John Witherspoon, (the only minister to sign the Declaration of Independence) gave its Organization Award for the year to The Office of the Americas and its directors, Theresa and Blase Bonpane.
- 1998. Theresa and Blase Bonpane were awarded the Sunset Hall Stephen H. Fritchman Award.
- 1984. The City of Los Angeles awarded a Certificate of Commendation to Blase Bonpane for his pursuit of peace in Central America.
- 1983. Blase and Theresa Bonpane were awarded the Eason Monroe Courageous Advocates Award by the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.
- 1983. Blase and Theresa Bonpane were awarded the Herman Engber Memorial Award for Humanitarianism by the Ventura Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union in 1983.